The town where it all started.

The town where it all started.
Isle of Write

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Thomas Carter III


Here is what we do know. Thomas Carter was born on June 4 1649 in Isle of Wight VA. At some point in his adult life he moved from Va to the Colony of NC. You read that right the colony of North Carolina. We were still under British Rule at the time. So much of the information we have on him is written in proper English along with all of the money he had was counted in pounds. Some could say that this man is the one who started it all. However as you can see he is a 3. But he is the only one who we can connect to our family tree with the most information. We do know that his Grandfather John Carter was born in England but that is really it

Thomas Carter died in 1730 in Bertie County NC


Here is a copy of his Will. Keep in mind that it is written in proper English.

4 April 1728 in Lancaster county, VA.

This is just the listing of property dispersal and not the entire will:

Item: I do leave the whole use of all my lands Negros and personal Estate to my now Loving wife Arabella Carter during her Widowhood and after her day of Marriage or Death I do give as followeth,

Item: I do give this land where I now live to my Son Thomas Carter and his heirs forever

Item: I do give 152 Acres of land in King George county, that is to say the half of my land the lying next to_ divided across the land to my son Peter Carter and the Males heirs of his Body and for want of such heirs I do give it to my son James Carter and the Male heirs of his Body and if he fails of such heirs Then I do give it to my son Dale Carter and the Male heirs of his Body and if he fails of Such heirs then I do give it to my son Charles and the Male heirs of his Body.

Item: I do give 152 Acres of Land Being the other half of my tract of Land in King George County, to my son Edward Carter and the Male heirs of his Body and if he fails of such heirs then I do give it to my son Joseph Carter and the Male heirs of his Body and if he fails of such heirs then I give it to my son Charles Carter and the Male heirs of his Body.

Item: I do give my Negros Harry and Winney and her Increase to my son Dale Carter and the Male heirs of his Body and if he fails of such heirs then I do give to my son Thomas Carter during his life and after his death I do give them to my Grandson Thomas Carter and the Male heirs of his Body.

Item: I do give my Negro Robin to my son Joseph Carter and the Male heirs of his Body and if he fails of such heirs then I do give him to my son James Carter and the Male heirs of his Body and if he fails I do give him to my son Charles and the Male heirs of his Body.

Item: I do give my Negro girl Nanny and her Increase to my son Daniel Carter and the Male heirs of his Body and if he fails I do give them to my son Peter Carter and the Male heirs of his body and if he fails I do give then to my Son Edward Carter and the Male heirs of his body and if he fails I do give to my Son Charles Carter and the Male heirs of his Body.

Item: I do give my Negros Sarah and Mary and their Increase to my Son Charles Carter and the Male heirs of his Body and if he fails then I give Sarah to James Carter and the Male heirs of his Body and Mary to Grandson Jesse Carter and the Male heirs of his Body.

Item: I do give my Great Bed and furniture above Stairs to Son James Carter

Item: I do give my Best Bed and furniture Below Stairs to son Peter Carter

Item: I do give the other above stairs furniture to my son Edward Carter.

Item: I do give my Great Bible to my son Thomas Carter.

Item: I do give all the Rest of my Personal Estate to be Equally divided amongst all my sons

Item: I do Nominate and Appoint my Loving wife Arrabella my Exe during her Widowhood and after Marriage of Death I do appt my Son Peter Carter Exe of my last Will and Testament and that he have the management of my son Charles till he shall come to the age to twenty years. In Wintess whereof I have hereto set my hand and seale the day and eyar above written.

Thomas Carter Signed and sealed Publisher in the presents of

John Carter, Harry Carter Carter, J_ Carter

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your Carter posts! Filled so many holes in my Carter story. I've posted this link on Ancestry, so expect a lot of hits!

    ReplyDelete